The Northern Ireland Foundation (NIF) established in 2008 is an independent, non-profit, non-governmental organisation that develops programmes for a shared future in Northern Ireland and local community activism; the exchange of international best practices. NIF (Company Reg. No. 068079) is recognised in the UK as a charity by HM Revenue & Customs (No. XT11435).
NIF vision is a Northern Ireland where the promotion of a shared society is seen as normal, in a culture of respect among all individuals and identities.
The Northern Ireland Foundation is guided by the following values and beliefs:
- We believe in the principle of consent — that it is up to the people of Northern Ireland to determine their constitutional status and relationships.
- We believe there are valuable lessons to be learnt from the experience of others, particularly in conflict and post-conflict societies across the world.
- We believe that if people can better understand other cultures and traditions through respectful dialogue, they are more tolerant and accepting of differences.
- We believe that debating public policy on socio-economic matters affecting all people is better than the contest of ethnic identities.
- We believe that local communities and neighbourhoods are best placed to take decisions and responsibility for choices on the provision of services.