We combine human rights principles with developmental strategies for the empowerment of communities and local businesses.
What are theMillennium Development Goals (MDGs) ?
The Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) are 8 time-bound goals and 18 quantified targets for addressing extreme poverty in its many dimensions. They where established following the United Nations Millennium Declaration of 2000 with a deadline of 2015. These 8 goals where complemented with 48 technical indicators that helped measure their progress.
The eight MDGs are:
- Eradicate Extreme Hunger and Poverty
- Achieve Universal Primary Education
- Promote Gender Equality and Empower Women
- Reduce Child Mortality
- Improve Maternal Health
- Combat HIV/AIDS, Malaria and other diseases
- Ensure Environmental Sustainability
- Develop a Global Partnership for Development
What are the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)?
The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are 17 goals built with reference to the MDGs, with the aim to solve the problems and complete the task that the previous ones did not achieve. These global goals where adopted on 25 September 2015 through the UN Resolution A/RES/70/1: Transforming our world: the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. According to the resolution: “They seek to realize the human rights of all and to achieve gender equality and the empowerment of all women and girls. They are integrated and indivisible and balance the three dimensions of sustainable development: the economic, social and environmental”.
The seventeen SGDs are:
- No Poverty
- Zero Hunger
- Good Health and Well-being
- Quality Education
- Gender Equality
- Clean Water and Sanitation
- Affordable and Clean Energy
- Decent Work and Economic Growth
- Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure
- Reduced Inequalities
- Sustainable Cities and Communities
- Responsible Consumption and Production
- Climate Action
- Life Below Water
- Life on Land
- Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions
- Partnerships for the Goals
 UN Resolution A/RES/70/1
 Global Goals for Sustainable Development. Image available at: https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/sdgs
How the MDGs and the SDGs match with the objectives of our Organisation?
We advocate social change for education, health, and culture to enhance the quality of life in communities, regions and cities. Taking into consideration that our organisation mainly focus in the improvement and protection of the rights included in the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (ICESCR), there are SDGs in which we can focus our efforts because they are closely linked with our aims.
|Education||Quality Education: Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all|
|Work and Employment||Decent Work and Economic Growth: Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all|
|Health||Good Health and Well-being: Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages|
|Non- discrimination and Equality||Gender Equality: Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls|
|Adequate Standard of Living||No Poverty: End poverty in all its forms everywhere|
|Reduced Inequalities: Reduce income inequality within and among countries|
|Food and Water||Clean Water and Sanitation: Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all|
|Zero Hunger: End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture|
|Environmental and Pollution||Climate Action: Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts by regulating emissions and promoting developments in renewable energy|
|Life Below Water: Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development|
|Life on Land: Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss|
- Millennium Project. What they are? Available at: http://www.unmillenniumproject.org/goals/
- Millennium Project. Goals, Targets and Indicators. Available at: http://www.unmillenniumproject.org/goals/gti.htm
- United Nations. Millennium Development Goals and Beyond 2015. Available at: http://www.un.org/millenniumgoals/bkgd.shtml
- United Nations. UN Resolution A/RES/70/1: Transforming our world: the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. Available at: http://www.un.org/ga/search/view_doc.asp?symbol=A/RES/70/1&referer=/english/&Lang=E